Friday, March 1, 2019

Head Coach Kevin Vande Streek Retires from the Men's Basketball Program

I didn’t think I would be writing this post so soon, but here we are. Kevin Vande Streek has announced his retirement as Men’s Basketball Coach at Calvin. I figured this day was coming but sort of thought this decision might be 3-5 years out.

It feels sad for us, as Calvin basketball fans, to lose a legend like Coach Vande Streek, but it’s a happy day for him and his family. It’s a day to celebrate his accomplishments and be proud of the way he represented himself and the institution. I’d personally like to thank Kevin and Vicki for what they poured of themselves and their family into Calvin College.

On the court, KVS accomplished as much as any coach could hope for. A National Title, an additional Final Four appearance, several Sweet Sixteens and an array of MIAA and MIAA Tournament championships. The trophy case is full.

I arrived at Calvin in the fall of 2004 as an engineering student. I grew up on the east side of the state so Calvin basketball wasn’t really ingrained into me from a young age. I knew of the Hope Rivalry, I knew of the 2000 National Championship, I knew that it was a “basketball school”, and I knew that some considered it to be a sort of Duke or Kansas-like program in the Division III landscape.

At any rate, the Calvin student section had good participation in those days and I got swept up in the excitement. That 2004-05 Calvin team had a very solid regular season, but, at 19-6, they needed to keep winning to extend their season. The magic began in the MIAA Tournament where they beat Hope and Albion (at Albion, I think that was the last time the MIAA semifinals and finals were hosted at a site besides Calvin or Hope before Trine hosting this season) to claim the MIAA’s automatic bid.

The NCAA Tournament came next. A buzzer-beater tip-in at Wheaton sent Calvin on to Aurora where they erased a 15-point deficit to advance to the Sweet Sixteen (again, at Albion). The Knights easily dispatched Mississippi College to battle the host Britons for the right to go to the Final Four. Calvin was swept by Albion in the regular season, but once again came out on top in a classic battle with the season on the line. A trip to Salem, Virginia was on.

Unfortunately, Calvin lost to Rochester in the National semifinals when Rochester hit a three-pointer with six seconds to go in the game. That run – with fan buses to Illinois and a minivan full of friends driving the 12-hours to Viriginia – solidified my love of Calvin basketball. I probably would not be following Division III basketball like I do without that Calvin team – that Kevin Vande Streek team – making that magical run in my first year at the school.

Loving basketball (or any sport) can feel silly at times. It’s a small thing in the grand scheme of our lives and our world, but Calvin College basketball has been important to me these last 15 years. It’s a connection I can share to keep me close to my alma mater. It’s a connection I’m now sharing with my daughters. My connection with Calvin basketball has always included coach Vande Streek on the sideline. It’s going to be way, way different from now on.